Connect with us

METRO

Sanwo-Olu Opens 31 Road Networks

Published

on

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Monday opened 31 network of roads recently completed in Ojokoro, a densely populated suburb in Ifako-Ijaiye Local Government Area of Lagos State.

The contract for the roads, which adds up to a total of 20.216 kilometres in length, was awarded in 2017 in two phases.

Mr Sanwo-Olu led members of the State’s cabinet to the area to formally commission the newly constructed roads at a ceremony greeted by spontaneous celebrations.

Speaking at the opening, Mr.Governor said: “Ojokoro Local Council Development Area is a strategic settlement with a fast growing population and huge need for infrastructural renewal. The construction of the 31 network of roads being commissioned today was specifically executed to offer traffic relief to residents of this rapidly developing area.

“This development will improve the socio-economic activities and road connectivity within the axis. Prior to the completion of these important projects, traffic in Ojokoro area grew tremendously considering the high rate of the population growth and its attendant vehicular density. Now that we have completely transformed the roads, it is time for relief as we fulfil the promise we made to residents.”

The Governor reiterated that provision of roads and critical infrastructure remained the cornerstone of his administration’s development agenda, known as Project T.H.E.M.E.S, stressing that the delivery of good road network would help the Government manage traffic effectively.

He added that the event was an indication of his Government’s resolve to complete and deliver projects inherited from the last administration.
The Governor urged the residents to take ownership of the roads, imploring them not to allow activities that would damage the roads.

Special Adviser to the Governor on Works and Infrastructure, Mrs. Aramide Adeyoye, said prior to Sanwo-Olu’s intervention, the existing conduit drains had been blocked, worsening the roads’ conditions.

The residents, Adeyoye said, usually experienced perennial flooding, which washed away the surface of the roads and created gullies that made the roads impassable for motorists.

She said: “The construction of this strategic network of roads have been completed and delivered with improved features, which include reinforced concrete drains, cover slabs and walkways on both sides of the road. Some of the roads have cross culverts and outfalls drains at some specific locations.

“There are also lay-bys and some major parts of the areas also have some major public utilities, such as electric poles, transformers and streetlights with power generating sets. The street lightings have started to make positive impact on security, night life and the local economy.”

She urged the populace to protect the roads by ensuring that drainage channels are not blocked by refuse. She told the residents to turn over anyone caught vandalising the roads and their complementary amenities to enforcement agents.

Member representing Ifako-Ijaiye in the House of Assembly, Hon. Rasheed Makinde, led residents to the ceremony to appreciate the Governor’s gesture.

He pledged that those living in the area would reciprocate the gesture by keeping faith with APC and pay tax regularly.

Makinde said there would be further advocacy to sensitise residents on the danger of converting the roads to a space for commercial activities or mechanic workshops, promising that anyone caught would be handed over to the authorities.

Chairman of Ojokoro LCDA, Hon. H.I.D Tijani, said the formal opening of the roads was a Christmas gift to the residents, adding that the development would keep the faith residents had in the All Progressives Congress stronger.

The high point of the ceremony was the formal opening of the roads by Governor Sanwo-Olu in four locations, including Odun Alayo/Funsho Owoyemi Junction, Edun Akara/Olorisade Junction, Adenekan/Rabiu Junction and Udeh/Brown Rotary Junction.

METRO

Court shutdown: JUSUN storms Federal High Court, Lagos, evicts workers

Published

on

By

 

Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria (JUSUN) members enforcing its indefinite nationwide strike which began today, have evicted court staff from the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos.

The unionists arrived on the court premises before 9am and directed their colleagues who were in courtrooms and in their offices to comply with the industrial action, pack up and leave.

They sealed some of the offices and pasted notices indicating the commencement of the court shutdown.

 

The JUSUN national leadership had in an April 1 circular, ordered the closure of courts across the country as from today, until the government complies with the Constitution, court judgments and other instruments which confer or re-emphasise the financial autonomy of the Judiucary.

The circular signed by its General Secretary, I. M. Adetola, directed all states and zonal heads of the union to comply with the strike.

The union stated that it had at its last National Executive Meeting on March 13, 2021 in Abuja, issued a 21-day ultimatum to the government to implement the financial autonomy of the judiciary with a threat that “failure of which JUSUN will have no other option but to resume the suspended national strike action.”

“Therefore, as a result of the public holiday on April 5, 2021, the strike action has been postponed to Tuesday, April 6, 2021.

Yesterday (Monday), Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) President Olumide Akpata said it had opened talks with JUSUN on shelving the strike in the public interest.

Continue Reading

METRO

“There is no land available in South West for cattle rearing” -Yoruba leaders

Published

on

By

Aare-Ona kankanfo, Iba Gani Adams and other leaders in Yoruba nation have inistsed that no land in the region will be ceded for any ranching programme of the Federal Government saying they are fed up with criminal herders as a result of terror unleashed on their people.

The decision was taken at the end of a meeting to discuss security and economy of the region which held at the ancient Mapo Hall, Ibadan, yesterday. This is despite that five out of the six South-West governors failed to attend the meeting. Only Gov. Seyi Makinde of Oyo state attended in person.

Other decisions taken at the meeting was the adoption of Yoruba national anthem which has already been in use in Osun and Ondo state. The leaders called on the other states in the region to adopt the anthem.

Secretary-General of the Yoruba Council of Eleders (YCE), Dr. Kunle Olajide while reading the communique, said: “Our forests are sacred, untouchable, irreversibly a no-go area to terrorists and the Yoruba will not cede one inch of our forests to anyone under any guise.

“That the Yoruba nation notes with dismay general state of insecurity in the country and the ancestral space of Yoruba nation, especially, a situation that has compelled a rigorous interrogation of our situation.

“That the Yoruba nation is currently living in a time of bad metaphors due to the almost irreversible abyss due to cases of daily incessant insecurity.

“That this august gathering of leaders of the Yoruba nation notes almost daily proof of government helplessness in face of the ugly peace and security problem. A few ugly happenstances offered credibility to this sorry state of affairs.

“For instance, Defence Minister of the nation, Maj. Gen. Bashir Magashi, retd, in a jolting moment of helpless exasperation, advised Nigerians to begin to defend themselves.

“Where else does self-help become an option other than in a situation of total breakdown of law and order? Following closely on the heels of that, is the Federal Government’s ‘no fly zone’ ban on Zamfara airspace. What more character of the official declaration of war is there beyond this?

“That the Yoruba nation is deeply worried by the unfolding anarchy, particularly as it affects the South-West region, almost rendered comatose by daily occurrence of kidnappings, arson, maiming, destruction of economic facilities and killings.

“That the acts of criminality being conniving tagged: ‘farmers-herders clash’, is a case of terrorism. Those who unleash attack on farmers, who kidnap fellow Nigerians for huge ransom, those who kill and rape women are no bandits but terrorists.

“When injustice becomes law, resistance will be a duty. That it is in the light of the foregoing that this gathering of Yoruba leadership has noted with concern the challenges faced by security agencies and lately, Amotekun.

“The Aare-Ona-Kakanfo of Yorubaland is hereby mandated by Yoruba leaders worldwide to complement official government law enforcement units.

“That this special internal South-West security group made up of all stakeholders in the security realm, including OPC, Agbekoya, Vigilante Group, Hunters, etc have been charged by leaders of our nation here gathered to help ensure our portion of Nigeria is safe again.”

While speaking at the event, the Oyo State governor, Seyi Makinde, said: “Some people are clamouring for the presidency to return to the south in 2023, but the situation at hand does not demand such talks. We need to focus more on the issues confronting us. We have to be diplomatic in our approaches.

“The issue at hand is beyond rhetoric. I am not bothered about my position or about 2023. I am bold to say it; I am not encumbered in any way. I have no godfather, but God the Father. I am bothered about the development of Yorubaland and Oyo State.”

Continue Reading

METRO

Alleged ₦338.8m money laundering trial: Ikuforiji to open defence March 24

Published

on

By

Former speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Adeyemi Ikuforiji has been given March 24th 2021 to open defence in an alleged ₦338.8 million money laundering trial at a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos.

The former top lawmaker is standing trial on a 54-count charge bordering on the alleged offences. His aide, Oyebode Atoyebi is a co-defendant.

Although, they were granted bail in 2012 to the tune of ₦500 million when they pleaded not guilty, the duo through their counsel, Mr Dele Adesina, SAN will now start their defence of the 54-count charge on March 24.

The presiding judge, Justice Mohammed Liman set the date on Wednesday after the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) closed its case after the testimony of its second and final witness, Adewale Taiwo Olatunji.

The defendants were first arraigned on March 1, 2012 before Justice Okechukwu Okeke on a 20-count charge bordering on misappropriation and money laundering.

They had each pleaded not guilty to the charges and were granted bail.

Following a re-assignment of the case, the defendants were, subsequently re-arraigned before Justice Ibrahim Buba.

 

Continue Reading

SIGN UP FOR NEWS UPDATES

GidiNews
Advertisement

Contact Us

We love to hear from you

Phone:2349065904170
GidiNews
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2020 GidiNews Newspaper. Managed by FULL MEDIA SERVICES LTD