Generator Fire Kills Councilor in Oworonsoki

by Abo Oyeade

Residents of Oworonsoki area of Lagos are still dazed by the report that a former councilor had died after a generator exploded in the area. 51-year old Olu Ogunbanjo who was a supervisory councilor at Kosefe Local Government Area of Lagos State passed on after he was burnt in a fire that razed his music shop in the area.

Oworonsoki Councillor OgunbanjoWitnesses say Ogunbanjo was refuelling generator in his office when the explosion occurred.

People who rushed him to the hospital said the late councilor would have survived the burns if Doctors at the Gbagada General Hospital were not on strike.

A neighbor, Taoheed Adekunle narrated how it all happened: “Immediately the generator caught fire, the deceased picked it up and tried to throw it out but he got burnt in the process.

“The impact of the explosion caused him severe burns. He was rushed to St Daniel Hospital at Oworoshoki, but he was referred to Gbagada General Hospital, where he died.”

Another neighbor who runs a shop near Ogunbanjo’s, Tajudeen shared his last moments with the deceased: “I was still with the honourable on Thursday and we played draft. He was relaxing inside the shop until he felt like putting on the generator. There was a spark which led to the fire, and the fire affected his arms and thighs.

“But no one expected him to die. We were shocked to learn he has passed on. His workers usually sold cassettes, tapes and cut people’s hair in the shop. He was a good man.”

Related posts